Monday, 25 March 2013

Jung ZL 114

In the fall I bought a resin kit of a Jung-loco from French manufacturer U-Models. I had hoped to fit a Bull Ant drive unit to the loco, but there wasn't room enough. Instead my Jung will run on a Black Beetle from Steam Era Models of Australia.

I have now begun to assemble the kit. The first step in the process was to make the BB fit in the rather narrow loco. After carving out room for the top of the BB I made a simple bracket from scraps of plasticcard. I'm glad that the bracket is hidden inside the loco, because it is one hideous piece of modelling! But the hodge-podge of plastic does its job and keeps the Black Beetle safely in place.
Current status of my Jung ZL 114. I still need to work a bit on the position of the rear axle boxes.
The kit comes with two different types of buffers. I chose to use none of them, although the castings are very nice. In daily use on Nystrup Gravel I suspect that my homebuilt buffers will be sturdier.


The two types of buffers provided in the kit. The lower type seems to have been quite rare - possibly a one-off? I think the buffer in the top photo will be too weak to work properly in normal service on any model railway. The resin being way too thin and brittle to stand the rigours of shunting skips.
The type of buffer I will fit to my Jung-loco. The cast metal buffer provides added weight to the loco.
The Jung model ZL 114 were built in approximately 800 examples between 1935 and 1960. Only few Jung-locos came to Denmark as Danish manufacturers had a firm grip of the market for small internal combustion locos.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Claus,
    Really enjoy your Blog. I am building a Jung as well and going to attempt using a BullAnt (60:1 gear ratio plus a flywheel) from Geoff Baxter. The Jung kit arrived here in Canada quickly from Blast models.
    Cheers,
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete
      Hope to see your Jung. I couldn't find place for a Bull Ant with the measurements provides on the Hollywood Foundry homepage so I opted for a BB. Good luck with your modelling.

      Delete
  2. Happy Easter Claus,
    I think that with a little sanding, I'll be able to fit the Bull Any (fingers crossed!). I'll keep you posted. How do you plan to make your buffers? I like the direction you're taking. By the way, what does your work area look like beyond the cutting mat? What tools, paints and adhesives do you use? Could be subjects for future blog content.
    Cheers,
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pete
    Looking forward seeing your Jung. If you'd like, you are welcome to send me an image. I could include it with my own report. could be fun to show a 'tandem build'. I'm building the buffers right now. They'll be made from plasticcard and Miliput to achieve the correct cast iron shape and texture.

    My work area is very small and you can basically see everything on this image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nystrup_grus/5772108880/in/set-72157600638054721
    Thanks for the inspiration to include work area and tools in my blog.

    Best regards, Claus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claus,
    Yes, I'll be sure to send a pic or two. While the Bull Ant is enroute from OZ, I'll spend some time on the buffers . I've also ordered a Ruston shovel kit, as well as two kits from Wespe and Smokey Bottom Lumber. Seems that my Maine two footers will be sidelined for a time as I put my 1/32 sand operation together.
    Cheers,
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claus,

    the first skips you built are they the WDLR Hudson 4 wheel tipper Ref: SRW06

    from Scale Link ????
    I´m asking, because I´m looking for some continental style skips not the very roundended Hudson skips.

    Regards,
    Thomas.


    Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Thomas
    Yes, most of my skips are built from the Scale Link Hudson-kit. The first ten were built more than 10 years ago (more or less) directly out of the box. Lately I have built more of the - and two of the as brake skips. In that proces I also made som minor changes to make them look a bit more like continetal skips. I added the strengthening bars in the frame and modified the skip body somewhat. It is still far from a real scale model of a continental DIN-skip, but my new ones resembles much better than the unaltered Hudsons.

    You can see my two finished brake skips here: http://nystrupgravel.blogspot.dk/2012/08/two-braked-skips-at-last.html
    Claus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas:
    A clearer image of two rebilt skips can be found here: http://nystrupgravel.blogspot.dk/2012/08/relaxing-with-modelling.html

    Best regards

    Claus

    ReplyDelete