Monday 17 November 2014

A Nice Trip to Rolfsted (1/35)

Nystrup Gravel and I spent three days at the Gauge 1 Exhibition in Rolfsted, near Odense. I got a lift from a friend and as he had just acquired a new van, space wasn't a problem. Being a rather small 'thing' Nystrup Gravel was quickly erected and connected electrically. Nystrup Gravel was connected to my friend's three modules with very little fuss. I did a few last minute adjustments, cleaned rails and did some tests. All worked well, except from my Zimo digital unit that seemed rather reluctant to accept new locos. Thus traffic had to be handled by my trusty Billard locos.

Nystrup Gravel ready to be erected.

The exhibition management's planning model laid out for traders and exhibitors to follow.
Despite the digital troubles I got trains running. With my new supply of skips from Hesketh & Snoodyk I could show a wide variety of skips. I actually had quite a few questions this year about model skips. Maybe fellow participants and visitors are planning their own industrial narrow gauge railways?

A train of Hudson skips on its way to the pits for gravel.

Despite digital troubles the gas generator Schöma managed to pull a train of surplus stones along the line.
Almost 1100 paying visitors attended the exhibition that also had the benefit of being in the evening news on the regional TV-station. Both exhibitors and traders thus had the chance to reach a wide audience for our modelling activities. Reporters from a German web magazine (Spur 1 Info) were also present during the entire exhibition. I was surprised that a large number of Germans turned up, many with a good knowledge of industrial narrow gauge modelling. I made several new contacts and refreshed old ones and I'm quite sure that some of the discussions we had during the exhibition will materialize into models. I would also like to thank those of you readers who turned up to say hello and gave me the impression that what I write isn't only enjoyable to myself.

To me the biggest change from last time I participated was the landscaping that had taken place on most layouts. Many layouts now sported basic green grass and shrubbery and provided a much better background for the detailed locos and rolling stock. Many layouts had also brought along brochures to enable the visitors to learn more about scale, theme and models. I too had made a small flyer to give info on Nystrup Gravel and it really worked in engaging the visitors in conversations about narrow gauge railways.

A small goods train pulled by a shunting tractor. On the TD-flat wagon I had the opportunity to show my model of a Marshall thresher. A rarely seen load on model railways.
I don't know when the next Gauge 1 Exhibition will take place, but I would be glad to participate if invited. See a few images from the exhibition on my Flickr-site.

No comments:

Post a Comment